Tuesday, July 03, 2012

My Blog

The other day someone asked, paraphrased, "when you write a blog entry, what  do you optimize for the audience"?  Google and other search engines optimize so its visitors who pose a query get quickly or instantly to what they want. Yahoo and other portals optimize so visitors instantly view all they care about on a single page. I have a vision I optimize for: I wish the visitors will scan my blog entry coarsely, get a nugget or two of interest, chuckle or frown or perk up, maybe retrace over a portion of the entry to resolve the nugget better, and soon pivot, go on with their every day lives. But the nugget should linger beyond those few seconds they spend at the blog entry, should resurface later in their psyche, and have some long term utility. 

ps: I couldnt think of a metaphor for this effect I want to induce --- slingshot, catapult, pivot --- nothing captures the whirr.

5 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

how about buzzumble? sort of a collision between a bee's bumbling flight path and its own buzz?

9:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting suggestion. Both positive and negative connotations abound :)

-- Metoo

10:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

offered in a light hearted manner, watching a group of bubble bees pollinate a plot of sunflowers and thinking about how ideas are spread, cheers

9:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Anon,
I took it in light hearted manner and added "buzzumble" to my vocabulary, I like the word! Thank you!
-- Metoo

7:27 AM  
Anonymous plasterers bristol said...

This is quite an interesting post, i always wondered what you would optimize for.

11:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home