Friday, December 12, 2008

On Emails

There are two styles to doing emails. Style A is a deliberate process, measured words, read over and polished. I remember a 45-min effort to draft a few lines of an email once. Style B is the response I got for that email. Done in a short burst, like the modern telegraph, saving words (and vowels) when one could. In A, mails accumulate in your inbox and torment you until you find time to respond. In B, it seems like you are statistically multiplexing your life by splicing it into twits between emails. Sigh, I long for A and sometimes do B.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://www.phdcomics.com/comics/archive.php?comicid=1047

9:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Indeed. :)
- metoo

9:10 PM  
Blogger Suresh Venkatasubramanian said...

You think email is bad. I've had people respond only to my facebook pings and tweets because they thought that replying to email took too much time !

Soon we'll be firing off missives via wi-max chips in our heads.

12:38 AM  
Blogger Justin Wehr said...

I appreciate writing so much more if I know they were of type A. I would love to know which popular authors are the most extreme type A's.

8:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sm-
I think I know at least one of the people to whom you are referring. We spent too much valuable time composing e-mail.
-nh

12:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home