Saturday, December 09, 2006

Sporting, Sporty, Sports.

When I was a little boy, I used to sprint barefoot on the black mud that was all around me, that spewed out coal chunks and fed the entire region. I was a more of a strategist than a (native) runner. It took a long time to scrub the coal off my skin. Much later, I used to run around on the red mud that was baked by the afternoon Sun and cooled off by the hardworking "ball boys" as I chased the yellow tennis balls that threatened to disappear not only in the blur, but also in the setting Sun that turned everything golden. By then, there was a sneaker between my feet and the fertile land, and I could rely on the technology of a tightly-strung racket to be sporty. These days, I have several floors of concrete and metal as I run on the treadmill, above the city streets. I set the technology to provide me the slopes and pamper me with music and visuals, but still have to rely on strategy to space my breathing and beat the next-door tread-miller. Because I run at the NYSC on Sheridan Square and the well-bodied come there to train and subtly compete with the others. Subtle competition is everywhere, in sports, office work and in research.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Subtle competition is everywhere, in sports, office work and in research.

This is particularly so in New York, where people seem to one up each other even about who can get the best table at the local Starbucks.

1:03 PM  
Blogger metoo said...

Or, at a different coffee place. :) Yes, of course.

1:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home