Thursday, July 13, 2006

Poetry in some motion

Othello, Act III, Scene 3:

Who steals my purse steals trash; 'tis something, nothing;
'Twas mine, 'tis his, and has been slave to thousands:
But he that filches from me my good name
Robs me of that which not enriches him
And makes me poor indeed.

NY subway has a "Poetry in Motion" series where they post pieces of poems
by school children, Shakespeare or whatever. The subway itself is more like
a Poetry Slam, a hip hop version of the sedate words posted in the car. You stand
in the subway, tune out its thundering run, screeching brakes, and the sideways lurch,
stare at nothing, reflect on the day, and catch a piece of the poem from the corner of
your eye, without actually looking like you are reading it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home